Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Proposition

What most intrigued me about The Proposition from the outset was that it was scripted by songwriter/musician Nick Cave. I have a certain fascination with Renaissance men, possibly because I quite fancy myself as one. Or is that jack of all trades, master of none? Yeah, maybe that's what I am.

The film also had an interesting cast, including Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, and Emily Watson (whom Wife loathes, incidentally). So it was that it ended up on our viewing schedule over the Christmas period. Yes, yes, that's how far behind I have fallen with some of my reviews.

Set in the founding days of Australia, the film tells of the titular deal struck between policeman Winstone and criminal Pearce. Winstone, on arresting Pearce's younger (and retarded?) brother for his role in the rape and murder of a woman and her husband, tells Pearce that he will release the boy and not charge Pearce if Pearce will hand over the elder brother, who is the mastermind of the outlaw family. And so it is that Pearce sets off to locate and take in his big bro.

If I'm honest, The Proposition is something of a storm in a teacup. Very little happens, and the dialogue is so low in the mix that you have to keep whacking the volume up, lowering it again when the loud music and gunshots come into play. That always pisses me off. I guess it's a mood piece, and that comes across well. But it's a mood piece with very little by way of a story. What I told you above? That's about all I can tell you without ruining the ending. Well, not quite, but not far from it.

Scores
Acting: 12
Story: 8
Direction: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Cerebral pleasure: 11
Total: 51

Labels: , , , ,