Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Monday, April 02, 2007

Tsotsi


I'm not very au fait with South African cinema, so the Oscar-winning Tsotsi was a good place to start my education. It's been a while now since I've seen it, and to some extent I'm concerned any review I might write will not truly do it justice, so I'm going to keep it brief and let the numbers do the talking.

This is a good little drama with strong performances from unknown actors and nice direction and camera work.

In brief, title character Tsotsi (whose name means "thug") steals a car without realizing there is a baby in the back seat. What happens next drives the entire film, so I won't say any more.

By turns, scarily violent and emotionally involving, Tsotsi is certainly deserving of your time.

Scores
Acting: 13
Story: 13
Direction: 14
Enjoyment: 15
Involvement: 15
Total: 70

Labels: ,