Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Walk The Line

Synopsis: Walk The Line is the story of country-and-western singer Johnny Cash.

Y'know, it's funny. Growing up, I seem to recall my dad had the Johnny Cash Fulsom Prison album. And I seem to recall thinking it was extremely dull. And despite the recent renaissance afforded Cash, in light of him being dead and all, I still find myself thinking the same way.

In a world of Presley and Holly, Richard and Lewis, Berry and Cochran, Cash (admittedly in a slightly different genre) just doesn't cut it for me.

And you've seen one bio-pic, you've seen 'em all.

Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favourite "young" actors, though, and I will gladly give him a couple hours of my viewing time. Reese Witherspoon was good, too. But I can't help feeling that, like Cash's music, IMHO, the movie was a whole lotta hoopla about nothing, albeit well-acted and well-directed (by James Mangold, of Cop Land fame) nothing.

I award Walk The Line, story notwithstanding, 64 points out of 100.

Labels: , , , , ,